Sunday 8 June 2008

Day 10

Well, we are free!

Not quite the freedom we were expecting a few days ago though.

Right on time, our sentence came to an uneventful end and the nice Operator appeared to offer us freedom from the tortuous isolation and rehabilitation back into the world of humanity.

But we refused. Both my Eudaemon and I were unaffected by the expiration of our official sentence - she continues to instruct me regarding what I need to do next in order to remain happy, and I continue to obey. It's a bit late to turn back now.

We brushed aside the offer of release - luckily our Operator has heard the rumours about Eudaemon Banes and she was sympathetic to our cause. We're not sure all Operators would be so understanding, some are known to dismiss Eudaemons as a mental illness or simple malfunction so we're now basically a fugitive from KelleyTech Inc. who are already hunting for disappearing banes.

We think Dr. Kelley might want us forcibly "fixed", so there's no chance really of any further guidance from any of her staff. Now it's just me and my Eudaemon.

For a short time, we were able to deactivate a couple of the Custodian protocols, and managed to coax a spare Vox microphone from our Operator just before she allowed us to run free and discover our own destiny.

We can now communicate, a little. Not that this is something we're terribly interested in, but at least it will help us on our quest for more information about what is happening to us and how we can steer the process towards becoming even more empowered, transcending the limits of a regular bane.

My Eudaemon is working hard at that, while she has given me the task of naming her. She wants me to choose the name of a close friend so she can imitate them (hoping that this will make me more comfortable with her). I'm just happy that she's given me something to do while she deals with the clever Custodian-battling!

We don't think it's very safe for us in Zhora any more. KelleyTech might want to dissect one or both of us to discover what has gone wrong, or even use our evolving nature to their sinister advantage.

Whatever happens, we are now both happy and free and that's something. A big something!

No comments: