Thursday 5 June 2008

Day 4

Day 4:

Boring boring boring. I think I’m going slowly mad.

Apparently even listening to a conversation is a violation now, as my Custodian told me off for being within earshot of two friends who were discussing me. Spying (i.e. moving your camera around to look at distant people and objects) is also punishable, and the Custodian even blinds you completely for these kind of breaches.

It’s a devious, evil little monster!

Today I stayed up all night long, passing the time on my Custodian, not interested in doing anything else IRL. I tried to sleep (on the couch next to my computer desk) but kept waking up every 20 minutes to check up on whether anything interesting had happened or if someone else had tried to grief me.

On one occasion deep into the night, someone was in fact messing with the Banes. He wasn’t an outright griefer, just a mild annoyance. He was hiding behind a wall rezzing a large sphere around me as I sat on the ground, trying to trap me inside it.

I learned my lesson from the 21 hour penalty I incurred on Day 1, and quickly teleported far away from this prankster before he could do anything more serious. Phew.

At maintenance later on, I did something else that convinced me I am really going loopy. You see, when a Bane exits a maintenance station after their prescribed maintenance period, they are not permitted to return until a few hours later.

If you come back earlier, you get a warning. The Custodian tells you off, verbally. By Day 4, I’ve become so utterly bored with the silence and isolation, that I started to use this warning system to my advantage. A Bane doesn’t get punished for the re-entry violation, it’s literally just a verbal admonishment.

So of course, I started to run around, jump on, charge and bump the maintenance station. Over and over and over…just to hear the sound of the Custodian repeating the same warning again and again.

Yeah, I’m losing my marbles alright…

No comments: